This fall, Laclede’s Landing is set to see the first-ever mixed-use building known as Peper Lofts. Peper Lofts will feature a rooftop sundeck with a spectacular view of the Arch.
Aptly named for the building formerly known as the Christian Peper building.
The Christian Peper building was built in 1899 by architect A.M. Beinke to be home to the Christian Peper Tobacco Company.
While Peper Lofts is located on North 1st Street, in 1784, the street was originally named La Grande Rue.
In 1763, the French fur trapper, Pierre Laclede, and Auguste Chouteau left on an exploration from New Orleans to establish a trading post. Settling on the west bank of the Mississippi River. In 1784, temporary cabins were built, and Laclede named the settlement in honor of the patron Saint of France, Saint Louis. The village of Saint Louis soon became the center of commerce, to exchange goods.
The area is rich in history with cobblestone streets and century-old brick and cast-iron facade buildings.
We are honored to be a small part of this incredible renovation while manufacturing interior glass and vestibule not far from Chouteau and Lafayette Streets!
Please enjoy the photos of the work in progress.
See you on the La Grande Rue (North 1st Street)!